Sunday 24 January 2021

Filament matters

So one of the first things friends who already had printers told me was don't skimp on the filament - which is exactly what I did.  When I ordered the printer online I also ordered the cheapest white filament I could find online.  

I did my first 3 or 4 prints with the sample filament that came with the printer and it worked pretty well with the default bed and nozzle temps.  When it ran out I swapped it out with the filament I had bought and low and behold - it was pretty crappy.  Lots of stringing and the first layers weren't great.  I changed the temps around a bit and it got a little better - but still wasn't great.  So after chatting to the same friends and telling them they were right they recommended 3dFillies.  

They shipped really quickly and came in individual resealable bags with moisture absorbing sachets.  I've done all my printing with their filament since (I got a roll of white and and a roll of black PLA+) and it's awesome.  I printed  a tool mount and filament guide in black for the printer and they both turned out great (comparison of the tool mount with the cheaper PLA I got first):


I've been told their silk filament is awesome too - so I'll try some of that at some point in the future too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nixie Clock!

I've wanted a nixie clock for a long time.  A good mate and I talked about doing it over 10 years ago now - and he ordered some IN14 nix...