Tuesday 22 July 2014

Commodore 128 - Part 1

I bought something off eBay about 2 weeks ago now and it arrived yesterday:


As the title suggests - a Commodore 128.  I've wanted a Commodore 64 or 128 for a long time but they always seemed quite expensive on eBay.  This one is a complete gamble.  Sold as is - untested - due to there being no power supply and video cable to test with.  It was however priced appropriately for a change and in Australia.  So I rolled the dice.  The auction included just the unit itself and a copy of the Commodore 128 System Guide:



The outside cover is a bit poor but the inside pages are like new.  Interesting British stamp printed on the front.  I also found a note inside the guide on a bit of paper about how to load a program from disk.  What was interesting about this hand written note was the paper the note was written on:



Check out that offer expiry!

I have a power supply and video cable en route which I'll put some more info up on when they arrive - as well as seeing whether the unit powers up and works or not.

The first thing I did when this guy arrived was open it up.  To my untrained eyes it looks as though it hasn't been opened since it was built in the mid 80's.  Even the heat grease on the main ICs that touch the large metal shield to act as a heat sink looked original.  Apart from the yellowing of the top half of the case it is in pretty amazing physical condition inside and out.  There was just a little bit of dust on the inside (not bad for a life of just under 30 years).  Nothing a quick clean couldn't fix:


I've got a few other things I'd like to buy/try and build for this guy but am holding off doing anything else until the power supply and video cable arrive to see whether this bad boy works or not.  Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nixie Clock!

I've wanted a nixie clock for a long time.  A good mate and I talked about doing it over 10 years ago now - and he ordered some IN14 nix...